Griffoni Polyptych

San Petronio Basilica, Bologna 2017

Facebook Twitter

Factum Foundation reconstructed the scattered panels of the Griffoni Polyptych. The Griffoni Polyptych is a series of sixteen tempera paintings on poplar panels painted by Francesco del Cossa and Ercole de’ Roberti in the late XV century (1473-1475). The panels were originally located in the Griffoni Chapel in San Petronio Basilica, Bologna, but the altarpiece was removed and sold in the XVIII century.

[L] Illustration of the original layout of the panels - [R] Proposed reconstruction and layout of the panels. All measurements are in millimetres.

[R] The facsimiles installed in Bologna

Now the panels are displayed in nine museums and collections across in Europe and North America. A facsimile of all sixteen panels of the Griffoni Polyptych was installed at the Basilica di San Petronio in Bologna on October 1st, 2017.

Select a panel on this image to browse below it its facsimile.

One of the suggested reconstructions of the Griffoni Polyptych indicating the relative position of the different panels

© Copyright 2018 Factum Foundation | Terms & Conditions